Professional Engineers are Problem Solvers
In this episode of The Leadership and Learning Podcast, host Randy Goruk visits with long-time friend and professional engineer, Gary Schweizer – Director of Engineering at Weyerhaeuser. The conversation focus is on providing leadership as one navigates through the complexity of addressing various degrees of field problems.
Listen to this episode and learn:
- The importance of continuing education.
- The one thing that defines the engineering profession.
- Why good forensics are important in conflict resolution.
- The best way to analyze a situation where a customer is unsatisfied.
- The three buckets to consider when there is a field issue.
- Preparing the team to handle field issues.
- The value of learning from and sharing mistakes.
- Why listening and observing are valuable skills to develop.
- When a field issue becomes a field problem.
- Common issues causing field problems.
- Knowing the difference between being an expert and having an awareness.
- Having the right tools to help identify solutions to field problems.
- The importance of preparing for possible litigation.
- Gary’s top 3 – pieces of advice for any leader.
Director of Engineering at Weyerhaeuser