Episode #22 – Brad Southern – CEO LP Building Solutions
In this episode of The Leadership and Learning Podcast, host Randy Goruk has a conversation with Brad Southern, CEO LP Building Solutions. They discuss career advice for leaders, developing and implementing strategy, the importance of innovation and managing change.
You’ll also learn:
- What it takes to prepare to become the CEO of a multi-billion-dollar company.
- The importance of broadening your experience that takes you out of your comfort zone.
- The importance of delegating responsibility and holding people accountable for achieving goals.
- Empowerment is more effective than telling people how to do something.
- The bias for action and the impact of the ripple effect.
- Learning to be confident around your judgement and experiences is a key leadership development trait.
- Leadership can set a pace around decision making and action that can turn a team into a high-performance team.
- The value of having a disciplined, rigorous and quantitative strategic planning process.
- How to transition areas of ‘value destruction’ to ‘opportunities for value creation’.
- What to do to address the challenges that come with change.
- Communication must be transparent, forthright and interesting.
- How aligning the reward system with strategy implementation can help overcome change resistance.
- Change for the sake of change doesn’t make sense, however constantly looking for ways to improve is important to long term success (and survival).
- Forget vendor, think true business partner.
- Why the need for innovation in the industry is so high today.
- Tips for emerging leaders to achieve leadership success.
You will take home plenty of helpful nuggets … including; “An accelerator to developing good leadership skills is when you are managing in uncomfortable situations or when in areas where you’re not the expert.”
CEO LP Building Solutions