‘How do you motivate someone who doesn’t care?”
The simple answer is … leaders can’t motivate people.
Let me explain … motivation comes from within. You, they, me, we, all of us … have our own level of motivation to perform at work. Some people are motivated by money. Some are motivated by the challenge. Some are motivated by pride in doing a great job. Some are motivated to perform well to be considered for promotion.
Leaders can’t motivate people, they can only create an environment where people are self-motivated.
If you have someone on the team who doesn’t appear to be motivated (they don’t care) … the environment for them to excel (care) isn’t quite right. This needs to be fixed and it can be, but the answer how to fix it requires more time than we have here.
My leadership tip for you this week is to question yourself about the environment you’re creating. Do you believe you’re creating an environment where everyone is self-motivated?
Knowing what excites and motivates everyone on the team is critical to a leader’s success.
Here are my top 9 – actions that will help you create the environment that everyone becomes self-motivated.
1. Hire the right people – nobody wants to work with someone who doesn’t fit.
2. Develop a harmonious team – we need to work towards the same goals.
3. Provide required support – be there.
4. Provide genuine appreciation – sincerity goes a long way.
5. Provide positive reinforcement – encouragement is healthy.
6. Lead by example – do the right thing, everyone will follow.
7. Provide consistent leadership – no mixed messages.
8. Empower others – teach, develop and trust others.
9. Have fun – why not, it’s better than the alternative.
When thinking of motivation, keep in mind what the late Zig Ziglar once said, “People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well neither does bathing. That’s why we recommend it daily.”
For the co-worker that doesn’t seem to care. I recommend you practice patience, because the ‘don’t care’ attitude eventually get’s identified and addressed by an exceptional leader.