It’s a good time of the year to perform a mental toughness self-evaluation.
Every manager is faced regularly with a myriad of stressful situations. Their mental toughness in dealing with these situations is critical to the success of their organization and to the credibility of the manager.
Exceptional leaders remain level-headed in these situations. They learn to evaluate the situation, ask the right questions, and ultimately make the correct decisions.
But how do you know if you are really mentally tough?
- You know you are mentally tough when you are not distracted by any situation
- You can remain clear and objective during turmoil
- You have discipline of focus
- You are personally productive
- You constantly strive to eliminate time wasters in your life
- You stick to your plan
- You have excellent work-life balance
- You do not allow stress in your life
- You are confident
- You are consistent in your actions and decisions
- You can deal with conflict
- You follow the rules but know when it’s time to change them
- You don’t take things personal
- You don’t let situations you can’t control bother you
Ask yourself two questions;
1. Do I need to improve in any of these areas ?
2. How can I get better in each of these areas?
Randy Goruk develops business leaders through his coaching, training and professional speaking services. His book ‘Sparks – A Business Fable; Leadership Actions That Will Ignite Your Organization’ is available at www.SparksTheBook.com