Whether we are in a challenging economy or not, leaders must possess stellar communication skills. To avoid confusion, chaos and the rumor mill, mastering the art of the stump speech is essential for every leader.
At recent leadership speaking events, I asked the audience about their use of stump speeches in their communication with their employees … too many blank stares – Yikes !!
I explain what a stump speech is — a consistent presentation of the facts with solicitation of support.
Then I explain how powerful stump speeches are as a communication tool — minimized rumors, everyone heard the same thing, everyone knows what’s going on and what’s coming up. It’s beautiful !!
We then all read from my power point slide together … aloud.
- This is the situation ….
- This is what we are doing ….
- This is what you can expect …
- We all need to stay focused on …
- Can I count on your commitment to …
- Thank you
- This is what you can expect next …
See, simple but powerful …
Then I explain what it all means …
- This is the situation …. whatever you want to tell your team – the economy / layoffs / new business
- This is what we are doing …. about whatever you told your team
- This is what you can expect … you or others are doing about whatever you told your team
- We all need to stay focused on … productivity, safety, customer service or whatever is important to your business
- Can I count on your commitment to … work productive, safe or whatever you asked them to do
- Thank you
- This is what you can expect next … tell them again what to expect
Simple, but powerful …. try it and let me know the results of the improved communication in your organization.