I was fortunate this past week to participate in a national conference for professional speakers. The annual event (1100 people) is a tremendous opportunity to network with colleagues and vendors while learning more about the art and business of professional speaking.
We also observe some of the best professional speakers in the world – it’s awesome.
One of the speakers who brought the house down was a gentleman by the name of Don Yaeger. You can learn more about him, his products and services at www.DonYaeger.com
He shared the following 16 – characteristics that make up greatness in an action list.
1. I will not make excuses. “A loss is not a failure until you make it an excuse.” – Michael Jordan
2. I will constantly evaluate my inner circle, surrounding myself with those headed someplace special.
3. I will set aside time each day to re-center myself.
4. I will encourage at least one person each day.
5. I will do the necessary “homework” to make each day – each meeting – as productive as possible.
6. I will seek out a new opportunity for personal or professional growth every day.
7. I will envision success – actually see it in my mind – in all I do.
8. I will be better, not bitter, in moments of adversity.
9. I will not be intimidated by taking thoughtful risks.
10. I will stay open-minded, not allowing old habits to hold me back.
11. I will point out the contributions of others.
12. I will consider what I can do, or sacrifice, to help strengthen my team.
13. I will do something today for someone who cannot give me anything in return.
14. I will act all day as if someone I were mentoring were sitting by my side.
15. I will relish the chance to be a standard for others.
16. I will remember that my life require balance.
I challenge you to take a pledge to adopt these actions, then challenge those on your team to do the same.
I’m extremely confident when I say, master these and you will achieve greatness in whatever you do.
Share your comments below.
How many of these actions are you doing today?
Which ones have the most impact on your greatness?