‘Leadership requires followership and following is an act of trust, faith in the course
of the leader, and that faith can be generated only if leaders act with integrity.’
Although I believe in the message contained within this quote, I also believe as leaders we must give support to gain support.
My leadership tip for you this week is to challenge yourself to identify the specific actions you take to clearly demonstrate you fully support your team.
Here are 7 – questions to help you get started:
• Are you approachable?
• Do you make yourself available?
• Do you listen … really listen, to what everyone has to say?
• Do you search for coaching or teaching moments?
• Are you genuinely interested in everyone’s individual success?
• Do you accept mistakes as learning opportunities?
• Do you provide the tools and resources needed to do the job you’ve asked the team to do?
Developing, nurturing and building support from those you lead is an important part of leadership.
If you want to become the leader who everyone wants to work for … you can.
You have to begin by giving support to gain support.