Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to rate our previous 5 – weeks of tips and offer suggestions for future leadership tips. The response has been overwhelming and we should be in a position to provide a summary of the ratings you’ve provided by next week and a game plan for tacking your many requests, as well as introducing our first ‘be my guest’ tipster.
This week’s leadership tip is in response to a request from a follower who wanted to know ‘what was the best way to deal with being passed over for a promotion they felt they deserved.’
My leadership tip is, don’t get bitter – get better.
I’m not sure where the saying originated, but it applies to many aspects of leadership.
- Didn’t get the promotion – simply work at improving the skills you need to be a better fit next time.
- Lost a customer – simply work at improving the products, services and experiences your customers has with you and or your company.
- A key employee quits – simply get better at being a better boss and better company to work with.
- Not as profitable as you’d like to be – simply work towards improving the many different ways you can generate a profit.
- Getting crushed at halftime – simply adjust your game plan to overcome the obstacles your faced with and win the second half in record fashion. i.e. Super Bowl LI
We all have unexpected problems that can cause us to be upset or bitter. Some we can control and some we can’t control.
Getting better, instead of being bitter is about owning the problem and addressing it in a positive and constructive way to ensure whatever the issue is, is no longer a problem. Fix it – move on.
My suggestion of dealing with most problems is to avoid them. The best way to avoid them is to develop the Power of ThinkerShip (TM)