Not all leaders are comfortable with making decisions so they don’t. Or they procrastinate.
Sometimes the decisions leaders make seems to take forever. They need to research the issue, they need to gather feedback on the issue and they need to think about the issue. I repeat, sometimes the decisions leaders make seem to take forever.
Admittedly, some decisions will take longer because of their complexity. However, waiting too long to make a decision, particularly if it’s the wrong decision, could be disastrous for the leader and / or the organization.
My leadership tip for you this week is to learn to be decisive on all issues. Become grounded and consistent in your decision making. No procrastination and no hesitation.
Here are 5 – simple guidelines to think about:
- Use your company vision, mission and business values as your guiding light to decision making.
- Anticipate problems then eliminate them before they are problems.
- Be proactive; be mentally prepared for the challenge when it comes.
- Never play favorites, gather the facts … remember it’s always business never personal.
- Do not ever make a decision because it’s going to be popular. Do the right thing for the right reason.
Decision making can make or break you as a leader… make them count.